Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Hope Amidst the Pain.

Tonight my heart is deeply saddened. My heart is broken. I type this as I weep and mourn. I need hope, I need an anchor, I need Jesus right now. 
I know that this post will come off as controversial to some, but I think it's an important topic to stand up for. I'm being open as to what I have experienced and my convictions.  As I read through scripture I see Jesus holding fast to truth, and never compromising what the Father taught Him was right.

My heart breaks for the abortion vote that was taken today in Albuquerque. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the vote, it was a proposed vote to ban abortions that occur after 20 week (5 months) mark. At this point a baby is approximately 10 inches long, from head to heel (size of a banana). The child has 2 arms, 2 legs, a beating heart, 10 fingers, 10 toes, 2 eyes, a nose, a mouth, and showing some signs of hair. It is now clearly a boy or girl, and he/she is starting to swallow, kick, move, and hiccup. Today, the people of Albuquerque voted to allow these children to continue being lawfully murdered.

I sit here almost speechless, feeling helpless, not knowing what needs to be done for these children who can't voice their own hurt, pain, and suffering. I want to be a voice for the voiceless, but I don't know how. Now, I'm sure some of you are thinking:
-What's the big deal? It's just a vote.
-You're a male, this doesn't pertain to you at all! You have no say in this issue! 
-Why do you even care? It's the woman's choice in the end!
-(insert various other questions)

I care because this is a child. Having worked in the youth ministry field for almost 4 years now, I understand that every single person, specifically kid, is made with immeasurable intrinsic value and worth. Nobody is a "mistake". While you are correct in the fact that I cannot birth a child or make the 'choice' to keep it or kill it, I can be a voice for the voiceless. My heart mourns knowing that there are hundreds of kids I will never get to meet because they were aborted. My heart mourns knowing that there are kids God planned for me to interact with right now, that I have never met because they were aborted. I speak up because there is such a disconnect between the fact that people get life in prison when they murder someone who is already born, but if this same person was still in the womb, we get financial aid and a doctor to help us commit the murder with a celebration that follows.  
Today the people of ABQ showed that 'choice' is more important than life.
I've probably heard a dozen people today say this, "You can't tell me what to do with my body," and guess what?! I TOTALLY AGREE! I cannot tell you what to do with your body, BUT if that same logic applies, then why are you making the decisions for another human being? That baby should have rights as well, because it's clearly a living human. There is no disputing the fact that this is a living, breathing, and beautiful young child. I've also heard people say, "Well, what if the baby is showing signs of brain damage, down syndrome, disease, is going to be a burden to take care of, etc. might as well put it out of it's misery now, right?" to which I respond,
1) Half the time the doctors tell people that so that they clear themselves of any legal action if something is wrong with the baby when born.
2) That is 100% a speculation, we cannot know for certain if something is wrong with the baby, until the baby is born.
3) If we abort all the babies with supposed down syndrome, disease, or being a future burden, etc., then shouldn't we also kill all of the people that are currently living with down syndrome, disease, or need help to live (senior home citizens) etc.? According to that logic, they are also burdens and are living in misery...

I think we can all agree that this is ABSOLUTELY LUDICROUS! We would never even think of killing a special needs child who we know, simply because they have something different about them. In fact, we all know a special needs child who has touched our hearts in more ways than almost anyone else has. This kids are special,  tender, loving, and full of life.

When all is said and done, there is only one true Hope in all of this. His name is Jesus! Although I mourn, weep, and quite frankly get angry about this vote and it's implications, I trust that God will somehow and someway use this for His Glory. We need to turn to Jesus, who provides us with a safe haven in times of need. Jesus allows us to influence, encourage, and love people! Through all the hurt, disappointment, tears, and sorrow, we are called to love our neighbors. We need Jesus just as much as anyone else. So lets lead with love and prayer, hoping and trusting that God alone will change hearts while using us as His vessels.

Find rest in Jesus even during the hard times, because Jesus is our only Hope. "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure." Hebrews 6:19

In Christ,
Jack 

No comments:

Post a Comment